PALEO CARAMEL BROWNIES
my way…of course! 😉
adapted from Elana’s Pantry
I’m sure I came across this recipe on Facebook, I’m not always looking for new recipes, but this one caught my interest and thought you might be interested to. Since I’m always interested in health eating and sweets are sometimes hard to come by, I took a look at this recipe on Elana’s Pantry.
Okay, before we get started I want you know to know that I made this recipe twice and the recipes below are the final product. If you want the original recipes you can click on the Elana’s Pantry links. These were tested by my hubby and some family and the 2nd batch was the winner. I also decided to use my ‘Perfect Brownie Pan Set (as seen on TV)‘ I must say, I do like the pan, its the cutter part I’m not in love with, I could easily throw that part out, its extremely hard to clean. So the second batch, my grandson suggested I leave it out and only cut the brownies with it after cooked, which I did, it was still hard to clean, but not as bad. The 1st batch only filled half of the pan, the 2nd batch I doubled the recipe and it filled the pan.
This is a 3 part recipe, on Elana’s Pantry you have to click on 3 links for the 3 recipes, my altered recipes are all right below.
- Prepare and bake brownies (recipe below)
- Allow the Paleo Brownies to cool
- Drizzle with Vegan Caramel Sauce (recipe below) over the brownies, any left over caramel can be drizzled over the chocolate once it sets.
- Drizzle with Chocolate Ganache (recipe below) for my 2nd batch I didn’t drizzle the chocolate, pretty much iced them with it and they liked it better.
- Serve. You can serve with ice cream, drizzle with melted peanut butter as my son did, whipped cream, etc.
- 2 cup almond meal (the original recipe used almond flour which I didn’t have, but thinking it was going through the ninja I figured it would turn into flour. It worked fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces baking chocolate (100% cacao)
- 16 dates pits removed (soak for about 15 minutes before using)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon PURE Maple Syrup (or honey, agave or stevia)
- 1 cup Enjoy Life – Semi Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips (Dairy-free, nut-free and soy-free)
- In a food processor (I used my NINJA), pulse together almond meal, salt and baking soda
- Pulse in squares of dark chocolate until the texture of coarse sand
- Pulse in dates until the texture of coarse sand
- Pulse in eggs
- Pulse in coconut oil and maple syrup until mixture is smooth
- Remove blade from processor, mix in chocolate chips with spatula
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9′ x 12 (I used my Perfect brownie pan)
- Mixture will be very thick, smooth with a spatula
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes
- While cooling make the Caramel Sauce recipe and the Chocolate Ganache recipe, both below.
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey or coconut nectar (I used the coconut nectar)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (no need to melt first)
- Place coconut milk fat, coconut sugar, and coconut nectar in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer
- Continue simmering for 10 minutes
- Allow caramel sauce to cool for 5 minutes
- Stir in coconut oil until completely dissolved
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2.5 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate chips
- Combine coconut milk and chocolate in a small saucepan
- Heat over very low heat
- Stir until melted
- Remove from heat
- Drizzle over ice cream, brownies or cake